Welcome to the new Blog that will document the journey to the relaunch of the Mutt!
The idea of this Blog is similar to a DevBlog which are more commonly associated with Video Games but the purpose is perfect for what I want to do. A DevBlog gives users an update of what the Developers have done, what their planning to do next and any issues they may come across/been made aware of. So with that cleared up, here’s how it works for this site.
Every week or so, I’ll drop a quick post saying what’s been done, what’s still to do and what issues maybe about (such as fat fingers braking the site). It’ll be done in a bullet point style list which basically has the thing followed by a brief description. With that, here is the first instalment:
- Major Website Overhaul: The site has had all its stock images (Headers, title cards, logos etc.) re-designed. The logo itself (Buster) has stayed the same but all the colours and back drops have been changed to make it stand out a little better, look brighter and cleaner.
- Content Removal: The Services page has now been removed. This was done as the page needed too much work at this time in the form of redesign, rewording etc. and its redundant while the relaunch is happening. The Contact page is also gone for the moment. This got ditched due to the sheer amount of spam I was receiving from it. From bride proposals to generic “I remember when we…” to links saying they want to work with you but really its a YouTube video. At present, I think a page with an email address etc. will be placed on the site. When I get round to it I will have to find a contact form that can stop spammers or look it other plug-ins that do this. Until then contact me via social media outlets (Facebook & Twitter). The University Projects has been removed in conjunction with new weekly content releases. I felt individual posts under the video section would do them more justice and also give me a chance to write a little about them too. This change will also aid in streamlining the site.
- About Page: the About Page has now been updated. It’s a lot more insightful now and it also has links to the other divisions of Scruffy Mutt.
- New Content: As part of the relaunch a new series of content has been put into motion. Each week a new post with a new (old) video will be posted. I’ve already done a post on this so I’m not going to go into too much detail about it. Essentially I will be posting a video a week of my college and Uni Projects. I intend to do this every Monday and if possible I’m going to schedule the releases so they post automatically.
- Facebook: The site has now been connected to the Facebook Page so it should automatically post their. The Facebook page has had the redesigned logos added too.
- Monetization: The YouTube channel has now been approved for Monetization. This means I can now get ad revenue from the videos that are watched. I do hate having adverts on the videos, but the potential funding would help improve a lot of things. As it stands at the moment, I am NOT having the ads that pop up on the videos. The main purpose for the Mutt is to make and show films. Not adverts. I don’t mind pre-roll ads and ads at the side of the video but I draw the line at having ads that pop up half way through or are shown over the top of the video. We have principles damn it.
- Menus: The menu bar has been changed to represent the changes in content.
Changes to Implement
- Social Media : Apart from Facebook, all the Social Media Outlets need to be updated with the new branding.
- Online Distribution Outlets re-branding: This is a fancy way of saying I still need to update all the branding for YouTube.
- Vimeo Account: Considering starting a Vimeo account. Vimeo is essentially a site like YouTube except its considered more professional. It also costs to upload more than so much a month/week however so I may put this on hold for now.
- Daily Motion Account: Yet another online streaming service. It’s not as big as either YouTube or Vimeo but it is a good service none the less and I’d like the Scruffy Mutt Brand represented on their.
- Patreon: Patreon is a service that allows fans to contribute to YouTube channels. It works on a reward basis. Basically, I say if you pay X you’ll get something in return (like a Behind the Scenes exclusive video). I have registered the account, I just need to set it up.
- Content Migration: Some of the content such as the tutorial articles are going to be moved to the Alchemy Site. This is because they are more in keeping with the theme of that site and as more content goes up, these article will look out-of-place on Scruffy Mutt.
- New Contact Page: A new content page is going to be created that has basic contact details on it. This will replace the old Contact page.
- Slightly Darker Header Image: I am aware that the header image is a little darker than the rest. This is because of my lack of understanding the finer details of Photoshop FX settings. It’s a satin affect applied to the rest of the branding but the bigger the image the bigger the shadow area. I’ll possibly fix this soon but I kinda like it the way it is.
I’ll leave you all with that,